Recipe Friday – Chicken Jerky For Dogs and Cats!
Since the recent recall of chicken jerky treats has caused panic in some pet parents, I am providing an incredibly easy chicken jerky recipe that you can make at home that will be all the rage with your fur babies. Sasha and Isis have both tried and gobbled these up, so they get eight paws up from these two!
- Preheat oven to 200° F
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. (I use olive oil)
- Rinse off chicken breast and remove any fat.
- Slice the chicken with the grain. This will help make the jerky even chewier for your dog. The slices should be very thin, about 1/8″ to 1/4″ thickness. (1/8 seems to be better since it cooks faster and makes it easier to cut into bite size pieces to be used as training treats).
- Place the strips on the baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 2 hours
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack until completely cool.
- Cut strips into bite sized pieces.
These go fast! If you have left overs (make sure to remember to feed in moderation), they can be stored in a covered container (I use a Tupperware container) for up to three weeks. If you still have some left over, prepare them for the freezer in an airtight container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to eight months.
If you wish to make some that have a little seasoning on them, you can use parsley. Just sprinkle a bit on the chicken before baking.
Points to remember:
Every oven is different, so it might take a longer amount of time or a shorter amount of time to cook the chicken. The consistency should be just like jerky. It should NOT be spongy or soft. If it is, put it back in the oven for more time.
Once they are cool and you cut them, find a sharp knife, or I use scissors that are allocated just for these treats.
You don’t have to just use chicken, if you want to try these with turkey, the same directions apply.
Just remember: Low and slow cooking for these; that will cause them to turn out right and make for happy fur babies!