Weekly Recipe – Doggies, I’m Dreaming of a “Rice” Christmas
I came across this recipe and it sounded good enough for us humans to eat. In the spirit of the holiday season, he is a great recipe for a special treat for your doggie buddy, and I suppose if you get hungry, you can eat it as well!
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (if your dog is allergic, leave this out)
- If your dog is allergic to any of the above, you can leave it out or substitute for something else your doggie loves.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel- lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet. Add the carrot, celery and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, brown rice and turmeric and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Serve the rice in a dog dish. Crumble the bacon on top and let it snow with the parmigiano-reggiano!
As you can see, it sounds like a delicious dish that both human and dogs alike can share. Try it out, while you are feasting on your Christmas dinner, give this recipe a try and feed it to your dog. They will think they are sharing the Christmas dinner, only the calories they will be ingesting won’t be near as much if they did eat your Christmas feast.