Pet Safe Ice Melters
The other day I was outside with Sasha, playing in the yard. It had just snowed a few hours earlier, and with the fresh powered blanket, the driveway was now a sheet of ice. In the span of a half hour, I ended up slipping and falling six times and have the bruises to prove it!
We had salt in the trunk of the car and I figured I should just throw that down on the driveway. Then I thought twice – is that really safe for the environment, let alone for animals?
I came inside and started to Google “ice melters” and “salt ice melters” I came across this article. Alarmed, I decided to look around for some pet safe ice melters and see what’s out there.
You may order online, but I wanted to have some now, considering how crazy and unpredictable the weather has been. I tried my local Walgreens with no success, and several other stores, and finally went to the pet store where they had some in the back corner of the store. The brand my pet store carries is this one.
Just to note, there is no perfect pet friendly ice melter on the market. Each one will most likely have at least one ingredient that is controversial. The choice will be yours as to which one will be best for you.
With so many on the market now claiming to be pet/child safe, there is a site with all the brands available, prices to order online, and reviews of each one. This is the site. Each links to another site, either Amazon or the site the product is sold on. It really is a helpful site and I highly recommend doing some research before buying.
This has been an eye opening experience for me, and I am thankful I didn’t just throw down the bag of salt we had in the car. I am sure Sasha and the other animals outside would thank me for not using something that can be so toxic. I am glad I took the time to research, I don’t know what I would have done if something would have happened to Sasha.