Weekly Trick – Dance!
I love this trick, it is just a great, fun and silly trick for your doggie to learn. I imagine a cat could do it as well, if you can find a cat who will want to learn to dance. 😉
- First what you need to do is hold the dog treat above your dog’s head and encourage her/him to jump for the treat. Keep the treat in your hand and make a fist.
- Next, help your dog to balance by using your arm, holding it out and if they start to come forward off their hind legs, hold your arm out for them to put their paws on to regain their balance.
- Now, lead your dog forward a few steps, or have them turn around in a circle. You can shake your hand with the treat in it to get them to move.
- Give them a treat if they have at least moved or held their standing position for at least one second.
- Keep on getting them up on their hind legs, shake the treat in your fist and move backwards yourself so that they will come to you, thus they are “dancing”.
- This is a much easier trick for small dogs to perform.
- DO NOT attempt this trick if your dog has hip issues.
- ALWAYS be patient and positive with your dog, encourage your dog with positive reinforcement, and loving praise.
Again, here is a video of the trick in action. It is NOT me in the video.
I hope you and your doggie have fun learning this great, fun and silly trick!