Recipe Friday – Dog Treats for Shiny Coat
If you feed your dog healthy food, your dog probably already has a great, glossy coat. But as dogs age, their skin gets dry and their coat looses it’s luster. Here are some treats to help keep your dog’s coat shiny!
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour (substitute with gluten free option such as rice flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (substitute with salmon oil and cod liver oil)
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tablespoon of local honey
- 1/3 cup of organic beef or chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with butter or a little oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and flaxseed meal. In another bowl combine the egg and honey.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture and add stock until the dough has the consistency of drop biscuits.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between the biscuits.
Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove, cool on a wire rack, and store, tightly covered, in a glass or ceramic container for up to a week or in the freezer for up to three months.