Weekly Trick – Catch The Ball In Your Paws (For Dogs)
This little Beagle in the video is pretty talented and looks very sweet.
There aren’t any steps to training your dog how to do this trick but I would probably go about it in this way:
1. FIrst make sure your dog knows the command “sit”.
2. Next, start to teach the dog the command “up” so that they can stand on their hind legs and so that they can put their paws up as well.
3. Now incorporate the ball and start to throw the ball gently to your dog, aiming more for the paws so that they can catch it.
4. I would start using a word like “catch” or “hold” so that they associate that with catching the ball between their paws.
5. Then keep on working on that until the dog can catch the ball and hold it for a second or two. Also the dog will most likely when trying to catch it, the ball will probably bounce back to you, so in essence, they are learning how to play and toss the ball back and forth and learn the “Catch” trick as well, so it’s a two for one!
Always remember to have treats handy, and make sure you have time and patience to teach this trick. Do not try to teach it for more than 5-10 minutes at a time, as your dog’s attention span is not that long.
Here is the video to help you teach this trick to your dog. Have fun!
Posted on July 28, 2012, in Tricks, Uncategorized and tagged catch the ball, catch the ball in your paws, catch the ball in your paws trick, dog, dogs, learn., sit, teach, treat, trick. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.