Dogs and Chocolate Poisoning

With Halloween just over, most of us will have some candy left over, or our children have trick-or-treated and got some great loot!  I know we like to share our food and sometimes even candy with our furry friends, sharing chocolate can be toxic and even worse, deadly for our dogs.

The scary thing is, it doesn’t take much to poison a dog, just 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight of milk chocolate, 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight of semi-sweet chocolate and baking chocolate is the worst at 0.1 ounces per pound of body weight is enough to do serious damage.

Some of the symptoms of chocolate poisoning are:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • increased body temperature
  • rapid breathing
  • muscle rigidity
  • seizures

If you suspect your dog is suffering from this, do not delay, call your emergency vet and get there immediately.

It is important to note that there is NO antidote to chocolate toxicity.

For more information, please see this article.

Advertisements

About furbabiesfurever

Just a furmom taking care of "less" adoptables-a dog and cat that are black, always adopting and not shopping. Love many activities,my oscar fish, animals, shopping, friends, family, life, my husband and of course my fur babies.

Posted on November 1, 2012, in Food, Health, Tips, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: