Recipe Friday – Chicken and Rice Crockpot Style
Since it is the season for warm, comfort food and soups, I thought I would share this recipe for our furry friends:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 lb. green beans, broken into segments
- 1 medium sweet potato, raw, cut into medium-sized chunks (leave skin on)
- 3 carrots, sliced into about 1″ thick rounds
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (with or without skin)
1. Put all ingredients into the crockpot in the order given (layer, don’t mix).
2. Cook on low for about 8 hours, on high for about 5 hours.
3. When done, stir, breaking up the chicken into small pieces. Everything will be quite soft.
4. Let cool and serve; can be used with a quality kibble or by itself, in a serving size appropriate for your dog’s weight and activity level.
Refrigerate unused portion; keeps up to three days.
Substitutions are allowed! For vegetables, try broccoli florets, zucchini, spinach or any of several types of squash. For the protein source, beef cubes, turkey or lamb also work. Use organic ingredients if possible.
Posted on December 14, 2012, in Recipes and tagged chicken, chicken and rice crockpot, gluten free recipe, homemade dog treat, homemade dog treat recipe, recipe, rice. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.