Recipe Friday – Bacon Cookies
Posted by furbabiesfurever
Your dog will be happy with these amazing treats, as long as their humans don’t consume all the bacon first!
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon (~5 slices)
- 1 Tablespoon bacon fat
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- ~1 1/2 c (whole wheat) flour (For a gluten free treat, use about 1 cup of rice flour)
1. Mix the oats, bacon, and fat in a large bowl and then pour on the hot water. Stir the mixture until most of the water is absorbed and the fat is evenly distributed.
2. Next, whisk in the egg and cornmeal. Then begin adding the flour, about a half cup at a time, until a firm dough forms.
3. Scoop the dough into balls with a large tablespoon* and place each ball on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Using your fingers, flatten each ball into a biscuit shape. The biscuits won’t spread or rise in the baking, so whatever shape you make them into is the shape they will be.
4. Bake the biscuits in a 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until the biscuits are firm, but with a bit of give in the center. When they are completely cool, serve.
IMPORTANT: The size varies depending on the size of your dog’s mouth. These biscuits can get stuck to the roof of a dog’s mouth, so either make the biscuit size accordingly or break them up before giving them to your dog. These treats are a bit softer, so if your dog is older, or has sensitive mouth/teeth, these will be great for them. But they are not just for older dogs. Any dog will love these treats, just feed in moderation!
About furbabiesfureverJust a furmom taking care of "less" adoptables-a dog and cat that are black, always adopting and not shopping. Love many activities,my oscar fish, animals, shopping, friends, family, life, my husband and of course my fur babies.
Posted on February 15, 2013, in Recipes, Uncategorized and tagged bacon, bacon cookie, baking, cookie, dog, dog treat, food, gluten free dog treat recipe, gluten free recipe, homemade dog treat, recipe, rice flour. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.