Recipe Friday – Strawberry Droolers for Dogs
The reason I called these “strawberry droolers” is because when I made them for Sasha, she drooled all over as I was making her do tricks before serving them to her. Hope your dog enjoys them as much as she does!
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour (or about one cup of rice flour for a wheat free alternative)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 mashed up banana
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Mix together the chopped strawberries with the cornstarch in a saucepan. Over medium heat, let them cook together until it reaches a jam like consistency. It should be thick but not too chunky.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg, then add the canola oil, honey, and mashed banana. Add this wet mixture to the dry and mix ‘er up.
- Cut a large sheet of parchment paper (about the size of a baking tray). Spread the “dough” mixture onto the parchment, then spread the strawberry jam on top evenly.
- Now, use your parchment to roll this into a log. Start by lifting the parchment (the side nearest to you) and proceed to roll the dough away from you. After each roll over, lift the parchment off and begin another roll. This is akin to rolling sushi.
- Firm it up into more of a cylindrical shape, then wrap the edges and let it cool and set a bit in the fridge for half an hour.
- Unwrap your bundle of strawberry coconut joy and place the parchment with log on a baking tray. Gently, and with a sharp knife, cut your cookie rounds. Lay your cookies out on the parchment paper. Sprinkle a little coconut on top of each cookie (coconut does wonders for a dog’s coat), and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve in moderation. Store in airtight container for a week, if there are leftovers, put in freezer.
Posted on March 29, 2013, in Recipes, Uncategorized and tagged baking, coconut, dog, dog treat, dog treat recipe, food, homemade dog treat, strawberries, strawberry droolers, wheat free recipe, whole wheat flour. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.