Recipe Friday – Doggie Cupcakes
These interesting treats for dogs will surely be a hit.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or white flour) (you can use 1 3/4 cups to 2 cups of rice flour for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise (this ingredient is to get the other ingredients to bind together. If you don’t want to use it, you can substitute with an egg and a bit of milk)
- 3 heaping tablespoons carob powder (DO NOT use chocolate powder, chocolate in any form is toxic and lethal to dogs).
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (try to find alcohol free vanilla to use)
- 12 small dog biscuits (these are decorations on the top of the cupcakes, if you do not want to use them, you can omit).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, blend all ingredients except for dog biscuits together very thoroughly. The mixture will be a little thick.
3. Grease a muffin tin or use cupcake liners and fill each 2/3 full.
4. Bake for 10 minutes or until a thin baked layer forms on top.
5. Remove pan from oven and firmly press one dog biscuit into each cupcake. Some batter will gush out on the sides of the dog biscuit. (again, if you do not use the dog biscuits, you can omit this step)
6. Place muffin tin back into oven and continue baking for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of a pupcake. (if you do not use the dog biscuits, you can leave the cupcakes in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean).
7. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or ziploc bag.