Recipe Friday – Turkey Cuppy-Cakes For Dogs
With Thanksgiving here in the USA just a few weeks away, here is a great recipe where you can use up some of your leftovers and make treats for your pups. I have included gluten free ingredients for those pups with allergies.
- 1 pound ground Turkey, cooked and drained (If your dog cannot eat turkey, ground chicken, duck, pork or beef is fine.)
- 1/4 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree (check that label says gluten free if you are making it for dogs with allergies.)
- 1 stick Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Milk (you can use any other milk if your dog cannot handle cow’s milk.)
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (you can try 3/4-1 cup of rice flour if your dog has allergies.)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder (make sure the label says gluten free if your dog has allergies.)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a muffin tin with olive oil or skip greasing and just line with paper cups.
2. In a medium bowl mix whole wheat flour (or rice flour) and baking powder then set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix cooked ground turkey (or other ground meat), cranberries, pumpkin puree, butter, milk and egg.
4. Once well combined add the flour mixture and stir until mixed.
5. Spoon cupcake batter into muffin tin until 1/2 full, flatten to fill the cups.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Cool 5 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
If you want something extra special, top with a scoop of mashed potatoes and a sprinkling of parsley.
Makes about 3 dozen cuppy-cakes. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week. Freeze any leftovers and thaw as needed.
Posted on November 15, 2013, in Recipes, Uncategorized and tagged allergies, baking, Baking Powder, dog, dog treat, gluten free, ground turkey, homemade dog treats, mashed potatoes, parsley, pumpkin, pumpkin puree, rice flour, Thanksgiving. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.