Recipe Friday – Candy Cane Peppermint Treats For Dogs
Just in time for the holidays, you can make a yummy treat for your dog! I will include recipe items for dogs with gluten allergies.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (about 2 1/2 -3 cups of rice flour for dogs with allergies)
- ½ cup powdered milk (most powdered milk is gluten free, but check the label just in case)
- 1 cup chicken broth (some broth contains wheat, so make sure you read the label, and make sure it is gluten free, or if you cook chicken for yourself, you can save the broth from cooking it).
- 2 large eggs (set one aside for egg wash)
- 1 tsp. Peppermint oil
- red food coloring (optional)
- Whisk all your wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients, one at a time, stirring between each addition to incorporate.
- Knead dough on floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, make a well in one half and add the peppermint and food coloring-working it in and adding food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Place both dough rolls back into bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm dough.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cover a cookie sheet in foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk egg for wash in a small bowl.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, break each dough color up into an equal number of pieces- about a Tbsp. or so in size-depending on the size of the recipient.
- Roll each ball into a small snake-like shape.
- .Work on a long sheet of wax paper creating candy canes to prevent sticking- dough will still be somewhat sticky and that is normal.
- Twist one of each color together and bend the end to create a hook shape.
- Place your “Candy Cane” on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Brush each with egg wash.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Keep in fridge for a week and if there are leftovers, freeze them in freezer bags for up to six months.
Posted on December 20, 2013, in Recipes, Uncategorized and tagged allergies, baking, candy cane, Christmas, cup chicken broth, dog, dog treat, food coloring, gluten allergies, gluten free, homemade dog treat, Peppermint oil, powdered milk, recipe, whole wheat flour. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.