Just like humans, pets need a first aid kit for those incidents that can happen to anyone at anytime. Instead of having to make an emergency trip to the vet (and have it cost an arm and a leg!), there are certain things you can have at home that can help in those situations.
First and foremost, your vet’s number and emergency number (if they are different) should be in there. Just in case things get out of control, and you may panic, you will have the number right there to call.
Next, the Animal Poison Control number (you may be charged a fee for this call, but it is good to have just in case). The number is: 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435).
Items you will need:
- Gauze, strips of cloth, non stick bandages – to help stop bleeding and to wrap up a cut.
- Adhesive tape (DO NOT use human sticky bandages for animal cuts. They will get stuck in your pet’s fur and having to get that out without hurting your pet will be impossible).
- Activated Charcoal or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% – ALWAYS contact your vet or poison control center before administering these.
- A digital thermometer – you will need a “fever” thermometer since regular thermometers don’t go high enough to read a dog or cat’s temperature. (normal temperature range for a dog or a cat is 100.5 – 102.5 Fahrenheit (38 – 39.2 Celsius).
- An eye dropper – to help flush out wounds. Now if you have a bigger wound or a bigger dog, you can always get a turkey baster. I have both an eye dropper and turkey baster.
- A leash – an extra one just in case you get caught somewhere without a leash, this can help transport your pet if they are able to walk.
- Scissors – to cut up bandages.
Petsmart offers a great first aid kit. You can always buy theirs and add things to it that are relevant to your area. They include things in theirs that are not on the list, as well, there are things on the list that are not in their first aid kit. Better to be safe than sorry, I would purchase the kit and add to it as I see fit.
First aid is just as important for pets as it is for humans. Don’t get caught without something to take care of every day cuts and scrapes. Your pets will thank you for thinking of them and taking good care of them!